Monday, September 11, 2017

What a Start!

We have had an incredible start to school. Having gathering responsibilities has been a bit of a challenge, but just like always, our fifth grade leaders have done incredible things in the face of a challenge. I will simply recap a few of those events for this blog post and write just a bit about a project that we started last year with our Films for Food festival.

Gathering Videos from Week 2 of School:
Several of you have been talking about the videos that fifth grade created for gathering. I thought I would post the link to them here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4J3aYb6So6UdmdSS05CWC1zZzQ?usp=sharing

I have them up in my google drive, so I have shared the folder with you all. Please let me know if for some reason you can't reach them.

Beginnings of Our Oceans & Land forms Inquiry
Our first study as scientists will be around land forms those on dry land and those on the ocean floor. I will be sending home an information sheet for our first project around land forms as well late this week or early next week. Stay tuned for those. Those projects will involve your child choosing from a list of famous land forms around the planet and researching it to become an expert on the processes that most probably created it, the geographic location, the ways that humans affect or use it, and some of the ways that it is affected by weathering. As one of our initial interactions with the concepts around land forms, we used a hard boiled egg to demonstrate how plates move on the surface of the earth. Below I've added photos from that experience. 


Supporting Our Local Efforts to Feed Richland2 Students
Last year we continued our support for feeding people in our community by creating movies and raising money. We used that money to buy food for families who depend on school meals during the week to feed their children. Richland2 has a program where students can also get food support on the weekends from donations to the schools. However, someone has to split up the donated food and pack bags for those students to take home with them over the weekend. So, we did that this week and will use the leftover food to supply these families with food for the rest of the month.