THANK YOU!
I can't find a font big enough to truly demonstrate how grateful I am to each of you and your students. We missed those of you who couldn't make it out, but wanted to share a little about how Films 4 Food went on Saturday.
We packed out the upstairs of Grapes and Gallery with family members and friends coming to watch our movies. I gave a short introduction, and we were off. Each group showed their movie twice and gave a short reflection of the process of movie production that they engaged in so diligently over the past several weeks. Drew then came up and gave his take on his experience with us. He was complimentary, of course, of our fourth grade film makers, but he said something that rings true about our kids and CFI in general. Drew shared his insight about how our kids give him hope that through understanding the media production process and creating their own media that they are developing the agency to share their viewpoints clearly and make their own voices heard. I couldn't have been more proud that we were able to share that hope with someone in our community.
We raised $345.00 on Saturday and have commitments from many others for donations to come. We will be accepting donations through Tuesday, April 4 after school.
After I gather all the funds, I will be taking the money to gather the food for the families that we will serve with this project. The plan at this point is to develop some quick and easy recipes for these families to use to feed several kids with the food we provide. We are planning to gather the food as close to the time we will give it as possible so that we can collect as much fresh food as possible. I have also gotten support from some members of the community who are willing to donate crockpots, to enhance convenience for these families in cooking over the school break.
Given the plan, there are a few ways to help even if you weren't/aren't able to donate money. If you happen to know any really easy, quick, simple recipes that you think could feed a lot of kids (both families that we are currently planning to serve have four or more children, some of whom are in middle & high school). As of now, I don't know of any allergies or food sensitivities, however, if I find out anything I'll let you know. Of course, with the dedication to health that our kids developed with Mr. O, we are looking for recipes that are lower-sugar and have lots of protein and vegetables. Others of you have suggested that you might have access to actual foods to donate. Please contact me directly, I'll let Mrs. Hart our social worker know, and we can figure out what we might do regarding those donations.
Here are some photos and a link to the videos if you are interested in seeing them or sharing them. Thank you all again for everything you've done to make this happen for our fourth graders and for these other students in Richland 2.
Link to the Google Drive file folder for our movies (as always, please let me know if it doesn't work for you, for some reason):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4J3aYb6So6UTEVkWWI4d19BRzQ?usp=sharing