Friday, January 20, 2017

Music: "...a Universal Language..."

As a part of our study on sound and light, I found a book by the wonderful children's author Pam Munoz Ryan called Echo. In similar fashion to the ways we used Laurie Halse Anderson's book Chains, we will be using this book to help us see how sound, specifically music and an instrument exist and connect people in our world today and throughout history.

The ways that Ryan breaks down sound and music are so helpful to our learning, within the story we hear about the journey of a harmonica that passes from one child's hands to another and another. In certain parts we learn about pitch and tuning of instruments, "He took a tiny, sharp tool and made small scrapes on the copper reeds. He blew and scraped a little more. When he was satisfied the harmonica was in tune, he set the cover plates, one at a time, and tightened the screws. He blew into the harmonica again, running the octave." We get to see how what we've learned about the physics of sound actually plays out in the lives of several kids who adore music.

However, the book itself is set in 4 different historical time periods that also help us understand the power of music and human connection in creating powerful change for good in situations where injustice seems to pervade every aspect of life. The book is fantastically written and provides the reader a chance to experience the complexities of life in such intricately woven ways. However, I also choose to read this book because its emphasis on sound is a focus in our fourth grade science standards, and the parts of world and US history that follow are a part of fifth grade standards as well. The first reads somewhat like a fairy tale set in 1913 Germany, where a boy finds this seemingly enchanted harmonica. After learning about the mystique of the instrument, Ryan transports us to 1933 Germany where the next protagonist, Friedrich a young musician with a large birthmark on his face finds the same harmonica. This section of the harmonica's journey takes us through the time when Hitler became Chancellor of Germany and Nazis were coming to power. Many of us are aware of the ways in which Hitler and his plans were against people who were Jewish, but the story helps us to see how a focus on only sameness affected the lives those like Friedrich who had physical differences or special needs.

The harmonica then travels to Philadelphia, PA to a home for orphaned children. We meet Frankie and his brother Mike as they are trying to become adopted, even if its to work on someone's farm in the country. Through this leg of the journey, we learn about the lives of siblings in the mid 1930s and the realities of families being split up through adoption. The third protagonist and harmonica holder appear as a child named Ivy of a family of migrant workers in California in 1942. She and her family end up having connections to a Japanese family right after Pearl Harbor. The Japanese family gets sent to an internment camp, and this injustice toward families of Japanese heritage complicates life for Ivy and her family as well. Through each of these stories of historical injustice, music remains the thread that holds life and beauty constant for each of the children and families in the book. By the end of the book, the three stories' threads are woven together in a serendipitous evening of more music, and we find out how the harmonica got on its way to begin with. The story allows us to move through time, forward and backward, enjoying the complexity of the physics of music while learning about the determination of the human spirit against unjust odds.

We are so lucky to have Meghan Schumacher joining us this semester as our Masters in Arts of Teaching Student Teacher from the University of South Carolina! She wrote a short introduction for you all. Enjoy! Hi! My name is Meghan Schumacher and I am Ms. Whitecotton's MAT for this semester. I am from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and I spent most of my life there before leaving for college. I got my undergraduate degree from Clemson in Anthropology, but I knew I really wanted to be a teacher so I started at USC this past spring in the MAT Elementary Education program. I love spending time on the beach and spending time with family. I recently got married so my family expanded some, I have a younger brother, and an adorable two year old nephew. Some of my hobbies are crafting, reading, and going to football games. I’m really excited to work towards becoming a teacher with Ms. Whitecotton's class. I’ve spent the past couple of weeks really getting to know all of them and I know they are going to teach me incredible things.

Looking forward to setting up times for you to join us for our Student Led Conferences this year! I have created a Sign Up Genius page where you can go to sign up for a spot for conferences. Visit this link: Student Led Conference Sign Up We are working really hard to thoughtfully choose our evidence and create presentations that will be interesting and engaging, so please sign up as quickly as you can! Send me an email with any questions about the process.